1/13/09

Textual Criticism in the 21st Century

At ETC, Peter Head has blogged about the recent article by Koester in the Harvard Theological Review. In his overview of the subjects covered by HTR in the last century, one can see a sharp decline in papers on NT textual criticism in this most recent era of scholarship. A snippet:

"New discoveries of manuscripts, particularly of New Testament papyri, brought new excitement to the scene of New Testament study, and American scholars, some educated in Europe, such as James Hardy Ropes, or coming from Europe, such as Kirsopp Lake, played an important role in this discussion. Later, the center of these investigations had moved to the text-critical institute in Munster, where it became streamlined without achieving any significant progress, as J. Eldon Epp (sic) has so aptly argued in several publications."

It will be interesting to see what responses this generates at the ETC blog. On the one hand, Koester is right, and I wager that this statistic applies to other journals as broad in scope as the HTR. But on the other hand, the article ignores the idea that textual criticism has moved out of journals and into emerging databases and research programs that are simply taking a long time to put together. I consider what is happening at Birmingham, Muenster, somewhere in Texas, and in similar organizations to be more intriguing than a few HTR papers. And what percentage of biblical studies blogdom in the last five years or so involves discussion of text-critical matters? Enough to characterize this discussion as active and fruitful.

10 comments:

P. Smith said...

I do think as more people are acquainted with discourse analysis (DA) the more we should see DA impact TC in upcoming years. I can think of a paper presented by Runge (http://www.logos.com/media/academic/runge/runge-joel2inacts2.pdf) that may get to this topic, but not much has been done, from what I've read on the on TC of late. I imagine this may help the explorations between different readings than what was previously considered. May not be paradigm shifting, but it may standardize the internal evidence beyond scribal tendencies.

I do agree so much leg work needs to be done in order for significant advances to occur. However, I would not want to miss the fact that some, like Colewell, have done a significant help in furthering the detection of scribal tendencies within a particular manuscript. The fruit of which has helped TC. However, it is not the paradigm shifting material Epp et al. may be appealing to. But there has been development on the internal evidence side that I would not want to minimize, whether it be from grammar, lexical work, DA, or scribal habits. That we know far more about the process of transcription and its impact for internal evidence also seems pertinent. I could be off, but I do think things have been furthered.

良哥 said...

Teenagers adidas tennis shoes can discount adidas sneakers teenage newest adidas shoes 2010 shoes discount moncler outlet cross cheap adidas shoes important wholesale adidas shoes growing adidas shoes outlet they discount moncler t-shirt shoes cheap jordan shoes changes new jordan shoes every time new jordan shoes shoes air jordan 2010 qualities discount jordan shoes soles jumpman 23 material Jordan ajf shoes breathes Newest Timberland shoes 2010 extended cheap Nike shox shoes support discount brand shoes ankles cheap Nike Dunk shoes injury AIR MAX shoes outlet when cheap ghd store ghd hair straightener home shoes discount ghd hair straightener properly ghd outlet returnable ghd running shoe cheap bourke dooney handbags good grip authentic dooney bourke bags breathes easily newest dooney bourke handbags should be moncler vest light enough dooney bourke new purses still support discount dooney bourke handbags outlet especially injury wholesale Rolex watches But just moncler hair iron,moncler jackets money.moncler coats

songsong_like said...

Young and creative style.
abercrombie and fitch
abercrombie & fitch
You can have a look at it.
Abercrombie and fitch outlet
ED Hardy clothing bring you a super surprise!
ed hardy wholesale clothing
If you really want it.
nike outlet

dfadf said...

Microsoft Office
Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Office 2010 key
Office 2010 download
Office 2010 Professional
Microsoft outlook
Outlook 2010
Windows 7
Microsoft outlook 2010

Craig Chilvers said...

I just wanted to leave a comment to say that I enjoy your blog. Looking at the number of comments, I see others feel the same way! Congratulations on a very popular blog.

Car finance quote

golf stayz said...

Your article is extremely impressive. I never considered that it was feasible to
accomplish something like that until after I looked over your post .
Gold Coast golf
Gold Coast golf holidays
Sunshine Coast golf
Sunshine Coast golf holidays
Group golf holidays
Australian golfing holidays
Discount golf
Golf trips

asif ifteakhar said...

Thank you for the great article I did enjoyed reading it, I will be sure to
bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from again.
I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have a good day

north london business oppotunities
london business group

DexSmart Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joana lui said...

It is great to observe somebody put enough craze towards a matter. I'm thankful that I stumbled upon this process. I am lucky I used the time to read on past the 1st paragraph. You have got a whole lot to say, very much to offer. I really hope guys understand this and look into your page.

safety deposit box
bank safety deposit boxes
mailbox post
residential mailboxes
gold bar for sale

Boris kreiman said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading what you all have to say


real estate law
how to buy a house
first time home buyer programs